EDIT: The authenticity of the article described below has been called into serious doubt. At this stage I’m not sure how true it is.
This article describes a very unlucky man who was trapped in a paralyzed body for 23 years!
Summary of the story:
- He suffered head injuries in a car accident
- Doctors thought that he was in persistent vegetative state
- In fact he was conscious but unable to move – locked in
- He was trapped in this state for 23 years!
- Recently a doctor used a new scanning technique and discovered that he was conscious
- After therapy he has learned to communicate using a computer and is able to tell his story
Can you imagine that?
Just lying there with nothing to do, no way of moving, no way of communicating. For 23 years! I can hardly imagine doing it for 23 days.
Several other notable examples of locked in syndrome exist. You can read more about this fascinating and horrible condition on Wikipedia.