The DA is trying to emulate some of the success that Barack Obama had online during his election campaign.
He set up highly effective online resources and managed to mobilize a LOT of support online. South Africa obviously isn’t as conducive to using the internet, but it’s still a great idea.
The DA have just launched a social network (like a mini Facebook – complete with profile page and wall!) called Contribue to Change. You can easily register on the site and:
- Connect with other DA supports in your area and around the country
- Find out about events in your region
- Get lots of information on how to help the DA in this crucial election
- Join groups for particular causes, activities and events
I recommend that you at least take a look. Even joining is very easy and you aren’t actually expected to do anything more.
The site itself works fairly well. It’s driven by WordPress (the same software that runs this blog) with a social networking plugin called Buddypress. Most features work perfectly with a few clunky areas here and there (like the avatars which just don’t work for me).
Give it a look. Here’s a link to my profile page.
This is a super important election for South Africa.
We really, really all need to get out and vote against the ANC (DA is an excellent choice, but against the ANC is important).
I won’t get into too much detail now, but here are 3 big reasons to get involved:
- If the ANC get a two thirds majority then JZ can do anything he wants. Including passing a law that he can’t be prosecuted. I’m not kidding – that is what the ANC say they will do
- We need a strong opposition in SA. Now that the ANC has split we have a very good opportunity to build a strong opposition to the completely inept and at least partially corrupt ANC government
- There is an excellent chance that the DA can win the Western Cape from the ANC and make a great difference to a great province.